Group Finance Manager
Based on experience in Nairobi, Kenya
About AMI and the job:
AMI enables ambitious businesses across Africa to thrive through practical tools and training. We deliver blended learning journeys, combining a web & mobile app, in-person workshops and on-the-job practice to help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and job seekers advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have raised investment from international investors, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged an impressive portfolio of clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and trained over 27,000 individuals through 80 blended learning programmes in 15 African countries.
AMI is now looking for a Group Finance Manager to support the operational teams, ensure timely reporting, effective and efficient internal control, and provide timely and accurate financial information for decision making.
This is a chance to be part of Africa’s transformation, and to help shape, build and scale one its most innovative social businesses.
The Group Finance Manager will be responsible for the financial function of the group, which currently has offices in Kenya, South Africa, Mauritius and Rwanda, and has operations elsewhere in Africa. The successful candidate will be a good communicator, well-organised, with a commercial focus and a desire to do things right first-time. She/he will be required to inform and advise country managers/department heads and to build and support a finance team to meet the needs of a growing business.
Accounting functions and internal controls
Ensure that accounting functions are effective and efficient.
- Customer invoices are accurate, raised on time, and monitored and chased for payment
- Supplier invoices are properly authorized, recorded and paid on time
- Inter-company billing is in line with procedures and properly recorded across the group
- Cash is safe-guarded and payments properly accounted for
- Bank payments are properly authorized and bank accounts regularly reconciled
- Staff salaries and expenses are properly authorized and paid on time
- Staff understand and comply with accounting procedures
- Accounting records are accurate and up-to-date
- Finance team is properly resourced, managed and supervised
Budgeting, forecasting and cash management
- Contribute to annual and quarterly budgeting and forecasting ,and guide and support country/departmental managers in the same
- Ensure that budgets and forecasts are understood by budget holders and that variances from budget are identified, explained and acted upon
- Prepare a monthly cash forecast to look at least 6 months ahead to ensure that the business has sufficient cash to fund its operations and that action is taken to collect money due, reduce expenditure etc as necessary
- Prepare monthly management accounts for each entity and the group within 15 days of month end and with comparisons to budget and explanations of variances
- Prepare financial reports for specific programmes and projects as required by grant providers/customers, in the required format and with narrative. Liaise with the relevant programme manager in this
- Submit monthly accounts to the CEO and/or Country Managers as required to meet their reporting requirements and deadlines
Contribution to tenders and pricing
- Contribute to pricing for tenders and contracts by providing details of directs costs, overheads, profit margin etc to help the organization to win work and achieve its financial goals and objectives
- Guide and coach non-financial managers in pricing for profit, approach to cost-recovery etc
Compliance and governance
- Ensure that each entity complies with local VAT, income tax, WHT and statutory reporting requirements (liaising with tax and other advisers as necessary)
- Ensure that annual financial statements of each company and the group are properly prepared and filed within required deadlines (liaise with auditors as necessary)
- Ensure that investor reporting requirements and covenants are understood and complied with
Training and mentoring
- Ensure that the finance function of the Group is properly resourced and managed
- Train and mentor staff and non-financial colleagues as necessary to ensure that the businesses financial objectives are met
Skills & attributes
- Qualified accountant with minimum 5 years PQE
- Past experience in accounting profession and industry/commerce. Experience of grant financial management preferred
- Well-organised, methodical, able to work to deadlines, and manage others
- Good communicator with report writing as well as financial skills
- Good financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Experienced in use of recognized accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Knowledge of cross-border trading and tax planning preferred
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, growing business preferred
- Experience of dealing with banks and other funders
- Willingness to learn.
- Flexible, helpful and versatile team player
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. We will assess applications on a rolling basis and will hire as soon as we find the right person, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details.