Head of Learning
Competitive based on experience
About AMI and the job:
AMI enables ambitious businesses across Africa to thrive, through practical tools and training. We equip entrepreneurs with tools to build their business, help companies train their teams and run work readiness programmes for young people. Our programmes combine online and mobile tools with in-person workshops and on-the-job practice and support. We’ve directly trained over 27,000 people in 15 countries through more than 80 programmes across Africa through clients and partners like the MasterCard Foundation, KLM, Unga, Shell Foundation and more. We have offices in Nairobi, Kigali, and Johannesburg.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We are looking for an ambitious and talented Head of Learning to lead in the conceptualization, development, and implementation of cutting-edge blended learning programmes. The Head of Learning will: Develop blended learning programmes that create impact at scale, manage the Learning Team, including learning experience design, workshop design, and content development, and build and manage a pan-African Academy of facilitators.
The Head of Learning will report to the Chief Product Officer and will head the Learning Team. He/she will work closely with the Partnerships and Sales teams to build programmes that work for our growing group of African and global clients. You will be a key player in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. At AMI, we work hard, innovate constantly and have fun. This is a chance for someone with passion for learning, technology, development, and entrepreneurship to be part of Africa’s transformation. We are particularly interested in hearing from people with experience in entrepreneurship and workplace learning, and/or EdTech.
The Head of Learning must be obsessed with learning programmes that drive impact for businesses, cross geographical boundaries, and scale infinitely. Driven, organized, tech-savvy, be prepared to manage and grow the Learning Team and build world-class learning products.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide strategic learning input to the Product team – to help develop innovative learning products,
adapting the methodology, supporting products to scale and adapt to the market and technical innovation.
- She/he will manage the Learning Team – including Learning Experience Design, Workshop Design, Content Development, and a large and growing team of internal and external Facilitators.
- She/he will design scalable learning programmes for Entrepreneurship and Workplace Learning that are impactful, scalable, and world-class. The design of new scalable blended and virtual learning programmes are the primary responsibility of the Head of Learning – in collaboration with the Chief Product Officer, and Sales and Partnerships teams.
- Support in the management of Learning Experience Design – including innovating on the crossfunctional learning project teams that oversee and iterate blended and virtual learning programme design.
- Support the team and/or deliver workshop design to support AMI’s blended learning programmes. These learning events are a lynchpin in AMI’s learning methodology and provide the experiences necessary to encourage ongoing engagement outside of the workshop.
- Oversee the Content Development Team – focusing on building courses, tools, toolkits and innovative learning content that meets the needs of our diverse clientele and remains efficient and agile. AMI builds online learning content suited to our key markets, including video based courses, mobile and desktop-friendly libraries of curated tools and toolkits, and a range of content suited to a range of technologies.
- Grow and manage the world-class team of internal and external Facilitators.
- Provide learning and facilitation guidance/expertise to AMI facilitators
- Identify, select and train new facilitators; provide ongoing support and assessment for existing
- Create facilitator training manuals and supporting documents as AMI scales its blended
- Lead development of a structured facilitator ‘accreditation’ process
- Provide overall management and oversight of AMI facilitators
Skills & Attributes:
- Strong understanding of entrepreneurship, business development support for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises, and workplace skills development. Ability to break down key business practices/processes
across sectors and to identify training and development needs
- Strong learning design skills. Ability to design a learning programme that leverages AMI’s existing
methodologies but meets the training needs of a specific sector and the learning styles of our target
- Ability to design and develop training curriculum and materials, working with subject matter experts
- Outstanding facilitation and coaching skills at a senior level
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal. Ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level, and to write concise and engaging design briefs and proposals
- Outstanding Project/Programme Management skills at a senior level
- People management skills – ability to manage individuals and teams; very strong coaching skills, able to work laterally across AMI’s various functional departments in different locations
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation, and accountability
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 8 years experience in-company training, management education, or entrepreneurship support
- Experience designing and implementing learning programmes (essential)
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. We will assess applications on a rolling basis and will hire as soon as we find the right person, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details.